What makes a leader? Are you a true leader or a boss? Great leaders possess certain qualities that draw people in. Leadership plays an integral part in helping to maximize efficiency and achieve collective goals in every organization. An effective leader ensures that every single worker is motivated to perform well and that team morale remains high. This helps to ensure that there is a positive approach toward the assigned jobs as well as the organization. PhD Studies provide a wide variety of programs, select variety of accredited foreign Universities and can be attained through online learning and distance education.
A simple definition of a good leader is one who communicates effectively and motivates others to act towards achieving a common goal. In order to be an effective leader who influences the behaviour of employees, one should possess certain key characteristics of a leader. The basic characteristics of a manager and leader are part of what can prove to be the difference between success and failure. A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way. In today’s ever-changing world, higher education can be achieved through online learning and distance education as most of professional wanted to further their skills to excel to new heights of their career. However, with the frustration and pressure that comes with leadership positions in organizations, it is important to possess a number of powerful leadership traits.
20 Powerful Leadership Traits
- Advocate an open-door policy: This is a communication policy that encourages openness, transparency, and interaction with employees. The objective is to encourage open communication, feedback, and discussion about any concerns employees may have.
- Problem solver: Successful leaders tackle various problems and issues, finding solutions to them, and allowing the team to learn along with them. It means that you know how to solve problems effectively as they arise.
- Manage time wisely: A good leader should be able to make the most of the time available to them by ensuring proper time management to produce optimal results. Effective time management leads to effective leadership.
- Good communicator: Leaders should not only be able to communicate their vision clearly but also motivate and pass on their message effectively. Being a good listener and paying attention to nonverbal cues are among the key traits of any good communicator.
- Understand the bottom line: A clear understanding of the bottom line will help executives know how every decision and action contributes to the common goal.
- Display a positive attitude: A person with a positive attitude will pass on the same to their employees, ensuring a positive attitude towards work and the company. Great leaders are always positive because they know that it helps them, and their teams, be more productive and reach their goals.
- Remain calm: Leadership can be frustrating and difficult. A person with a calm demeanour will discharge their duties better and make sound decisions regardless of the situation. Calm leaders inspire more trust and perform better.
- Empower employees: Every leader should be concerned about the welfare of employees and create an environment where they can grow in different aspects. It means giving your team members permission to take action and make decisions within your organization.
- Stay organized: Successful leaders are organized both mentally and in their daily lives. This makes it easy to execute duties in a time-effective manner. Being organized enables us to be more productive, set an example for our team members and impress our external clients – to more efficiently manage our time.
- Coach employees: One of the most important duties of a leader is to motivate their team. This means being a coach who guides employees in a given direction. Coaches establish an advantageous relationship that uncovers hidden strengths and weaknesses within the leader.
- Prioritize learning and development: A manager should understand the need for development, not just for themselves but also for employees.
- Self-motivated: There is no way one can motivate others if they do not have the passion required to do so. Leaders should always have self-motivation to do their job and help others. Leaders who are self–motivated evolve and improve continuously, as they attain new heights of motivation after every achievement.
- Self-confident: Every leader should be confident in their own ability to do their work and deliver on the set goals. This will ensure that employees are also confident in their leader. Leadership involves influencing others and self–confidence allows the leader to feel assured that his or her attempts to influence are appropriate and right.
- Decisive: Any leadership position requires that one makes decisions every so often. Leaders should be able to make the right decisions quickly. In the workplace, decisiveness is key for effectively executing plans and achieving set goals.
- Accountable and responsible: Good managers know how to use power and authority without overwhelming their employees. They also take responsibility for their mistakes. Leaders further demonstrate accountability by taking responsibility for the outcomes of their actions and decisions and successfully transforming effort into results.
- Future-oriented: Leaders look into the future so they can make clear goals that will benefit the organization in the face of constant change. Future–focused leaders anticipate changes in regulations, technology, and customer demands, and then they work hard to meet these challenges head-on.
- Goal-oriented: Once a leader has set a goal, they should be able to work towards achieving the goal with determination. Goal–oriented leadership involves setting clear and specific goals where it is known, based on established experience, that they know can be achieved.
- Foster creativity and innovation: A leader should give employees room to exercise their creativity, try out new things, and make mistakes.
- Create lasting relationships: Running an organization has a lot to do with strong relationships. Leaders should create lasting relationships with employees and other stakeholders.
- Honest: A good leader must have the strength of character. They should be honest and act with integrity. Honesty is how we build trust, and trust is necessary if we hope to work successfully with others.
Today, the work environment is characterized by rigid competition, making it necessary for managers and employees alike to improve themselves constantly. While some of the admiral leadership skills come naturally, others are acquired and improved through practice. PhD Studies help professionals to strengthen leadership skills by allowing them to have their BA, MBA and PhD programs that brings together online learning and distance education at the comfort of their busy schedule.
Continuous training sessions will also help to develop communication skills, time management skills, and teach one more ways of achieving success in leadership. Great leaders do not fall out of the sky. Even an employee with all the traits of a natural leader has a lot to learn before he or she can effectively helm a project or team. PhD Studies offer a tailored program which are perfect for working people through online learning and distance education that helps you achieve your goals. Leadership allows organizations to nurture and cultivate the managers, motivators, and big thinkers who will carry the organization into the future. PhD Studies nurtures people with leadership potential and prepare them for the kind of success that lifts up everyone including the team, the customer, and the organization as a whole.
An Accredited Degree Experts, PhD Studies can offer more information on these online learning and distance education and steps needed to successfully apply on the program.